RealityVeil

What is EU4?

Title says it all.  What is it?  It is Real TIme or Turn Based?  Co-op or competitive?  A mixture of these?  What does a session look like?

I've always had a passing interest in grand strat, and have a guild to play it with might just be the push I need.  If it's good.

Slow real-time; roughly every 1-2 seconds is a day at 2x speed.  It can be either co-op or competitive depending on how people choose to play. The game covers the entire globe, so countries not being played by a player are AI controlled.

Games typically last 40-120 hours, so a session covers a few years of in-world time.

Here's a (paused) walkthrough of the main mechanisms of gameplay.

GckwgBS.png

This is the game that made me hate the Holy Roman Empire.

In this game you can take down empires in five years with a few well timed strikes.

In this game you can build an empire that spans continents, trigger an event, and watch it crumble down to three provinces.

This is the game that teaches you that over-extension is your worst enemy, and it will repeatedly beat this into you.

10/10 would conquer Ming as Scandinavia again.

If this game had a catchphrase it would be 'FUCK WITH HISTORY'.

Really? I never had a problem with overextension. Maybe, I'm just more sensible in how much land I grab at once. :P

Edited by Ivandrov

When I took my restored roman empire from CK2 into EU4 it got spanked by rebels I had no trouble with before. Very wonky in ways I cannot begin to fathom.

@Gigity The rebel mechanics are totally different from CKII, not surprised you got slammed. I would say focus for the first few years on stability (religious unity, cultural unity/acceptance, the whole shebang). THEN you can go about conquering the world. Also I'd recommend playing the CKII game until the end, get as much stability going in as you can.

It's really fun to take a HUGE empire that you don't have much control over (vassals being their own characters and what-not) to being a god in EU4. That's also what I don't like, once you control an enormous amount of territory no-one can actually put up a fight for long. You barely have to use tactics in war at that point, just send swarms of doom stacks (20K or more armies) to obliterate your target of choice.

Silver, it wasn't that my armies weren't huge, it's that the morale in them was miserably low. It went from overnight stomping them, to oh that's cute your 20 stack against 5 just lost a battle and now because morale take months to rebuild you're going to have a bad time. I can play as any of the historical kingdoms and be just fine, but my restored roman Empire out to the historical maximum boarders, a whole lot of nope.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found